A positive family environment can have a preventative effect on substance abuse behaviours as well as mental health problems, violence, criminal behaviour and risky sexual practices. The potential effectiveness of comprehensive school- or community-based initiatives will be greatly increased by including family skills programming.
The evidence-based Canadian Guidelines for Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Family Skills Programs:
• Represent best practices;
• Provide direction to teams wishing to design their own family skills program, strengthen an existing program, or adopt an existing effective program; and
• Provide a benchmark for family skills programming and a framework for planning, implementing and evaluating an initiative.
Contact us at youth-jeunes [at] ccsa [dot] ca, if you:
• Would like more information putting these guidelines to work for you;
• Have used these guidelines and want to share your experiences; and
• Have ideas for other practical tools to help put these guidelines to work for you.